Tuesday, March 22, 2005

Sondheim at 75 (Part One)

Broadway's top composer-lyricist, Stephen Sondheim, was born on March 22, 1930. That means he celebrates his 75th birthday today.

National Public Radio's Weekend Edition Saturday ran a terrific story marking the occasion, and NPR's web site has a collection of additional materials (songs and interviews) that expand on that report.

I am trying to track down a copy of an interview I did in May 2002 with several critics and theatre professionals, in anticipation of that year's Sondheim Celebration at the Kennedy Center in Washington, D.C. (My original was lost in a computer crash last year.) Once that text is found, I will be posting it here.

In the meantime, I have dug into the archives to reproduce several reviews I have written about Sondheim shows: West Side Story, A Little Night Music, Merrily We Roll Along, Sunday in the Park with George, Into the Woods, Passion, and You're Gonna Love Tomorrow: A Stephen Sondheim Evening (the revue originally presented at the Whitney Museum). (Click on each title to see the referenced review.)


Read my blog on Amazon Kindle



Check out my CafePress shop for greeting cards, t-shirts, and other theatrical items!

No comments: